Saturday 9 March 2013

The Prom.

Wilsons Promontory National Park.  Located in Victoria, the Prom contains the southernmost tip of mainland Australia.  Surrounded by water on three sides, it is a bit isolated, but its isolation helps make it an iconic wilderness.  Hit the numerous hiking trails to catch the spectacular natural scenery and spot some of the abundant wildlife.



Head up high to view gorgeous angles of the coastline.  One of the beaches is named Squeaky Beach, because the rounded grains of sand ‘squeak’ when you walk/slide your feet on it.  I had first noticed this phenomenon on some beaches in southern Queensland, but no one else there seem surprised by it.  I am glad it was finally acknowledged here. 

 
I was ‘mobbed’ by eastern kangaroos while on the short wilderness walk.  It was awesome.  I actually went back another day to repeat that walk.  Ever feel like you are being watched?
 
 
Even though there are heaps of folks staying at the campgrounds in Tidal River, including school groups, it was easy to feel quite secluded out on hikes.  How about having a bay, complete with orange lichen covered rocks, all to yourself?  On my way there, I came across this swamp wallaby.  I am pretty sure I interrupted him/her from enjoying the beautiful views during his/her dinner.  Hopefully, s/he still caught that night’s sunset.
 
 
Since arriving in the southeastern part of Australia a few months ago, I have had a new Aussie animal on my mission list – the wombat.  Wombats dig burrow systems with easy to spot entrances given their size.  When threatened (by dingoes or Tasmanian devils), they duck into burrows; any predators who follow have a hard time getting a grip on their tough rear ends.  The Prom is well-known for its wombats, so surely this was place I would see one.  When checking in at the ranger station, the ranger told me not to keep food in my tent, as wombats have been known to chew holes through tents to get to food.  Instead, food would be safe in my car… no need for bear lockers here.  The ranger also suggested that I just walk around the campground at night to spot one.  No luck my first night.  It was quite dark when I returned to my campsite the second night and guess what was waiting for me.  A wombat, of course!  Super cute and munching on the grass.  S/he waddled toward me at one point, perhaps seeking a handout or a pet (it was hard to resist).  I tried to take a photo, but I didn’t want to use a flash, so it didn’t come out.  Fortunately, I spotted another one along the road the next day after leaving the Prom.  Sadly, this wombat is suffering from mange with its missing fur and irritated skin.  Still cute to me!
 

1 comment: