Tuesday 5 March 2013

Mornington, Nighttime.

Another ultimate frisbee tournament returned me to the state of Victoria.  This tournament was in Geelong, which is southwest of Melbourne.  After the tournament, I used the week to explore some more as I slowly headed back toward Sydney.  First off, I drove all the way around Port Phillip [Bay] to reach the Mornington Peninsula on the other side.  This area is a favorite destination for Melburnians over holidays and long weekends.    

The Peninsula has several seaside villages with sandy beaches on Port Phillip.  These beaches have been popular for well over a century.  Some of them still have the iconic colorful bathing boxes, which were first built in the 1880’s.
The calm and protected waters in the bay are inviting to families, whereas the risky and exposed waters on the other side of the peninsula appeal to surfers.  In 1967, the Prime Minister disappeared while swimming on this side.  The walks in the Mornington Peninsula National Park provide beautiful viewpoints of the shoreline.
I decided to take advantage of my recent open water diving certification, so I went diving around the Portsea Pier (Port Phillip side) with the hopes of spotting weedy sea dragons.  This creature was voted as the marine emblem of Victoria in 2002.  It is endemic to the coastal waters in the southern half of Australia with a strong concentration in Victoria.  It has leaf-shaped appendages to camouflage itself among the seaweed and kelp.  (The leafy sea dragon has even more of these appendages.)  The weedy sea dragon is related to sea horses and pipefish, but it doesn’t have the ability to anchor itself with its tail.  Instead, it tends to drift with the current.  It was easy to check them out closely when I drifted alongside with the surge.  I rented an underwater camera for this dive, but frustratingly the battery ran out during the trip.  (I’m disappointed the dive shop did not offer a partial refund.)   While no shots of the puffer fish also spotted, I did get a couple of decent shots of some weedy sea dragons.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment