Monday 18 March 2013

Croajingolong.


 
My, what sharp claws you have.  Any guesses on the owner?
My touring week was quickly ending, and I had not progressed more than a few hours outside of Melbourne on my coastal drive back to Sydney.  I figured I could spend another half day checking out an area somewhere along the way.  It was difficult to choose one spot among all the many excellent places to explore.  Driving past some places, I could not help but feel some regret that I did not have more time.  So many sights and experiences to witness… it is easy to understand why people will take it slow in this area.  I also realized why people might take it slow in any area.  There can be so much to explore locally.  I cannot say that I have fully explored any area where I have lived; there was always more to discover.  You can always be exploring…
This time, I decided to spend a few hours hiking in Croajingolong National Park, which is located in the southeast corner of Victoria.  Croajingolong NP is one of 12 World Biosphere areas in Australia.  Such protected areas are internationally designated for promoting and demonstrating sustainable development. 

 
While hiking, I had moments when my surroundings felt familiar, as though I was back hiking on the other side of the world.  They would not last long though… something like the laughing call of a kookaburra or the thumps of a wallaby in the bush would bring me back to reality and Australia.  Or perhaps the snake hanging out in the one flooded section of the trail.  I still have not identified this species, but I am comfortable with assuming all snakes I encounter in Australia are venomous and giving them plenty of space.
 
Did you guess a lace monitor as the owner of the claws?  S/he is as long as I am tall, even longer with that forked tongue extended (monitors are the only lizard with forked tongues).  Those sharp claws are for climbing trees, where lace monitors spend much of their time.
After leaving Croajingolong, I came across another Aussie animal next to the road.  I stopped to make sure this echidna was okay (and to snap a couple of photos).  Cute and cuddly, eh?

1 comment:

  1. If Steve Irwin has taught us anything it's that Australian snakes are friendly and just want to be cuddled by wayward hikers.
    Wait, that's not right at all. RUN!!

    ReplyDelete