Sunday 20 January 2013

42 Wallaby Way


I haven’t posted in some time, because I have slowed down my travels lately.  I’ve been focusing on other projects while I stay in the Sydney area.  While I do get out and about to explore the area some, I don’t always have my camera with me.  Here are a couple of photos in Sydney in the meantime.

Of course, I need the mandatory photo of the Sydney Opera House.  It’s definitely an icon for the city and perhaps even the country.  It is photographed at all times of day at all different angles.  This photo was taken on the return ferry from Manly.  I like that the commuters can take ferries (and water taxis) from all over the Harbour.


The other highly photographed object in the area is the Harbour Bridge.  My dad and I went up the Pylon Lookout to view this angle.  The blue-suited folks are participating in the popular Bridge Climb.  Seemingly, you can spot them any time of day.


On a free walking tour, we turned onto a laneway and were surprised to see many empty birdcages hanging overhead.  This public art piece in Angel Place is called Forgotten Songs.  The cages represent the lost bird species that once inhabited central Sydney but were gradually pushed out with the growing European settlement.  The piece is enhanced with the recordings of these 50 birds’ songs.  Cleverly, the songs switch over from the daytime birds to the nocturnal birds after sunset.  It is a sad reminder of the types of the losses that came with development.  Hopefully, it serves an inspiration for more harmonious development in the future.


Another nature-inspired public art piece is this fountain found in Kings Cross.  The El Alamein fountain resembles a blown dandelion, which becomes especially clear in any breeze.


One more art piece, on a more temporary scale.  I checked out some of the Rubber Duck welcoming festival in Darling Habour.  This 5-storied tall inflatable duck is visiting Sydney Harbour for a few weeks.  It’s definitely a crowd pleaser for people of all ages.  I love that it might just be resting in a boatslip.  In order for the Duck to reach Cockle Bay for the celebration, the bridge in the second photo had to be opened.  Fortunately, the Duck is just short enough to fit under the monorail track.


No comments:

Post a Comment