Tuesday 31 July 2012

Chocolate fix?


In the city center of Cairns, Rusty’s Markets operate on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.  It is basically a big farmers market, but there are some stalls focused on fashion or other goodies.  As for produce, there’s a large variety.  Lots of avos (mmm… avocados).  I searched the markets to get an idea of seasonal Queensland produce and to see if there was anything new to me.  Of course, a fruit labeled as “chocolate pudding” caught my eye.



Pictured is the black sapote, which is sometimes called chocolate pudding fruit or black persimmon.  It is native to Mexico; however, the vendor told me that there is a tree growing only a block away from the market (I didn’t find it).  You only want to eat this fruit when it is perfectly ripe and very soft.  Apparently, the changes are dramatic during ripening and can happen overnight.  The hard green ones in the foreground are probably four days away from being ripe when they will transform to dark green and then brown-black and become soft and mushy like those in the background.  Basically, you eat it when it looks rotten.  Here’s the one I bought to try.  If you came across such a fruit, would you eat it?




It has the nickname “chocolate pudding,” because it has a subtle chocolate taste.  You can eat it as is or prepare desserts like ice cream, mousse, cake, cheesecake, muffin, etc.  I cut mine up raw and shared it with my fellow volunteers.  The skin is thin and can disintegrate when really ripe.  My assessment?  It doesn’t smell like chocolate, but the flesh certainly does have the right dark coloring.  As for taste, I didn’t really detect chocolate or much flavor at all.  However, I didn’t try any enhancers (a little bit of rum, vanilla, or coffee liqueur) as suggested.  I would liken the texture to a moist avocado if that were to exist.  I don’t think it would satisfy my chocolate need, but I’m up for trying it in a prepared dessert next time.  Let me know if you come across a good recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment